St. John the Baptist Catholic Church was founded July 4, 1897, as a parish of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend. In 1927 a priest of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood religious order, Cincinnati Province, was appointed pastor of St. John the Baptist and ever since, the priests and professed brothers of their congregation have continued to minister here, as well as their seminarians and transitional deacons. The parish is now part of the Catholic Diocese of Gary-in-Indiana.
St. John the Baptist is located one mile west of Lake Michigan, 25 minutes south of the Chicago Loop, and 30 minutes north of Merrillville, IN. It has a Whiting post office box but is located within the geographical boundary of Hammond, Indiana.
The parish originally served a Catholic Slovak population. Today, over 1,000 families comprise the parish and they reside within Northwest Indiana and metropolitan Chicago. The demographic matrix of the parish reflects a wide spectrum of ages, ethnicities, socio-economic backgrounds, political ideologies, educations and occupations.